Thursday, June 5, 2008

That HP server that could


Following my disappointment at trying to create a gaming system from a cheap HP Proliant ML115 server, I've persevered in trying to improve the system. So I have removed 512Mb from my new DELL server to increase the HP's memory to 1.5Gb, installing a Creative Audigy SE sound card and finally adding a proper gaming graphics card, the Sapphire Radeon HD3850. Plenty of room in the small chassis to fit these and plenty of power from the PSU as well.

Amazingly this has improved the potential somewhat. The quiet graphics card has not increased the noise level which though not silent, is subdued for a games PC. The graphics performance of this card are also great for a mid-price model. The disk RAID sub-system performance is now increased to over 110Mb/s. The computer is much more responsive and able to handle today's games such as Crysis, Company of Heroes and Flight Simulator X.

Altogether it gives a quality feel. A small box which can handle most games that you throw at it and has become something that I can sell with confidence. Not as cheap as I originally envisaged but fair value for money and a configuration that I'm happy with.

No comments: