Saturday, June 14, 2008

PSUs do matter

I've had a busy week and one of the many things I had to do was upgrade a gamer's graphics card. An hour later I received a telephone call that the PC had 'blown up' with a load bang, tripped the domestic circuit breaker and caused the owner to spill his cup of coffee.

I'd checked that the card was acceptable for the 350W power supply as stated on the box, but obviously with the 3.4GHz Pentium 4 and two WD Raptor drives had taken more power than was available. I'd replaced the PSU in the last year so it wasn't old and filled with dust. Luckily, further investigation had shown that the other components had not suffered in the massive electrical trauma.

I installed a 500W quality PSU that cost almost three times the original one, and I trust that the gamer will continue to play for many happy hours. He certainly likes the new graphics card, but wishes that the explosions were not so close. So I'll remember to upgrade the PSU as well, when I upgrade the graphics.

No comments: