Saturday, May 3, 2008

Windows Home Server

Well my new DELL SC440 server arrived yesterday. Great box for a really low price (see previous entry). I was was going to reinstall WHS from scratch but I thought that I'd try taking the two hard drives out of the old DELL SC430 and put them in the new one and see if it would boot. And it did! I had to reload the network Gigabit NIC driver and ATi video driver from the DELL driver CD and then all was going perfectly again.

The new server seems more responsive if you logon directly but not over the network. This was to be expected I suppose. What was interesting was that DELL had added an extra Broadcom Gigabit NIC in one of the PCIE-1 slots. This was in addition to a similar port integrated on the motherboard. Amazing for the price.

No comments: