Sunday, May 25, 2008

From Server to Gamer

As the local company that I quoted for a new IT infrastructure have accepted the configuration based on my old DELL server, I'm continuing my quest to discover what can be done with these value servers. Having already successfully implemented Windows Home Server on the new DELL server, I'm now looking at what can be done on the desktop and even at the gaming level with one of these boxes.

I've ordered an HP Proliant ML115 for £118 including VAT and delivery from PCworld Business. This comes with a dual core AMD Opteron, 1Gb memory, 160Gb hard disk drive and a DVD/CD writer combo drive. More importantly it has PCI Express x16 slot for a mid-range graphics card, SATA RAID 0/1/5 controller and a good 370W power supply.

So by adding an extra 160Gb hard disk drive in RAID 0 (striped) configuration, a Ati Radeon 3850 Pro graphics card and an OEM copy of Windows Vista Basic should give a reasonable desktop box for not too much money. You certainly can't build a system like this yourself for this price. And have HP quality and warranty too.

Hopefully Vista doesn't require a floppy to load the SATA controller drivers as there is no floppy connector on the motherboard, and I don't want to have to buy a USB floppy just for that. Finally, I can always add some more memory as well, Crucial have an extra 2x1Gb kit for just £38.

I'll keep you informed of my project.

No comments: