Tuesday, December 14, 2010

WHS hard disk drive fails

I've got a Windows Home Server Version 1 that is based on a DELL PowerEdge SC430 hardware. It has the original 160Gb system disc, a 250Gb data drive and a 500Gb data expansion drive. The latter 500Gb Samsung drive has been 'lost' by the WHS storage manager. I've got replicated, Shared data folders which appear to be alright but the Backup database is not available or repairable. The 500Gb disk is discoverable and the SMART data indicates it is OK.

I have a spare, new 1Tb Samsung drive I could add. I'm not too bothered about losing the backups as all the client PCs are OK and I can re-backup when the server is fixed.

The problem is fixed! I added the 1Tb drive to the data pool and then used the 'Remove' disk option from the Data storage menu to remove all traces of the faulty 500Gb drive. As I expected, all my backups had disappeared but I was able to recreate them from the clients.

I tested the faulty 500Gb which just threw up continous bad blocks so it is being RMAed back to Samsung. Server running smoothly again.

No comments: