Thursday, February 11, 2010

Wireless N is a WiNNer!

I admit I've been a bit slow in jumping on the Wireless N boat. My excuse is that I was waiting for the draft IEEE 802.11n specification to be ratified. Also to spend upwards of £100 for a router and receiver adapter just to try it out was a bit expensive for me.

So when ebuyer offered a Tenda Wireless N cable router (I'm on Virgin Media cable) for just £15 and an Edimax USB adapter for £13, I could not resist any longer. They were easy to install and though they only offer 150Mbps (actually 135Mbps), this still tripled my bandwidth. It seems to be snappier accessing the Internet and I'm sure the backups to the Windows Home Server will be quicker too. Now if only it had a Gigabit Ethernet switch as well, I'd be really happy.

I'm a Wireless N convert!

No comments: