Saturday, December 5, 2009

DELL's fabulous XPS 8000

I was tasked by my nephew to choose a new gaming PC. Given the budget and performance objectives, I went about configuring various DELL models and even considered the 'build it myself' option. We decided on a DELL XPS 8000.

It arrived yesterday and was duly unpacked and tested. What a performer! A real 'bang for the buck' gaming system. The specification is:
- DELL XPS 9000 Studio
- Intel i7 860 2.8GHz quad core CPU
- 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory
- 640Gb 7,200rpm SATA hard disk drive
- DVD+/-RW optical drive
- nVidia Geforce GTX 860 with 896Mb GDDR5 memory graphics card
- DELL 20" widescreen monitor
- Logitech X230 2.1 speaker set
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Even though it is a relatively small mini-tower case with a conservatively rated 350W power supply, I still managed to shoehorn in and power the large nVidia GTX860 graphics card. The massive heatpipe cooled heatsink with dual fans keep the card cool and very quiet even under load.

The performance of the whole system is amazing, totally responsive and a gamer's dream system. I recommend it to anybody who wants a great PC gaming machine.

No comments: