Sunday, May 24, 2009

Responsive PCs

Yet again I'm drawn to the subject of responsiveness. I've cobbled together a few parts recently and discovered a very responsive system. A Packard Bell minitower with a failed motherboard was the basis. I ordered a new Foxconn i846 chipset motherboard from Novatech for just under £25. Coincidentally a failed Novatech PC with an Intel Pentium 4 3.6Ghz gave me a replacement CPU.

Add 2Gb of PC5400 generic memory from ebuyer and suddenly I realised that I had a fast, responsive minitower computer on my hands. I replaced the Intel stock CPU fan with a cheap Akasa AK-956SF heatsink with fan from ebuyer which lowered the temperatures and noise levels.

This system is only a single core CPU with older technology motherboard, hard drive and memory yet it remains a very responsive computer system. It won't break any benchmarks yet it is still a responsive joy to use.

No comments: