Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Norton Utilities' Shadow

I decided it was about time that I upgraded my old trusty version of Norton Utilities 2005 with the latest 2009 version. I bought it at my local PCworld shop as it was on offer for just £20. I am totally disappointed with this product which is now just a shadow of its former glory. Thank heaven that I didn't pay any more for it!

Gone are WinDoctor and SpeedDisk, CheckIT diagnostics, boot and run utilities from CD, etc. Instead is an installable and activation for just 3 PCs, which mostly consists of links to Windows own applets for performing system management, tune-up and diagnosis. From DOS days it was always the best set of tools to help you fix PCs. I still enjoy running WinDoctor from the CD on Windows XP systems, finding all the file and registry errors and then running the automatic fixer. It impresses my customers too. Why do the work yourself when you can get the computer to do it for you?

Anyway, I won't be using this latest version. I'll make a backup copy of the CD and put it in my bag just in case. I doubt if I'll be using it much though! Symantec does it again with a totally useless product release of what used to be the king of PC diagnosis and fix software!

No comments: