Saturday, December 13, 2008

Snake oil software

Looking for the ultimate resurrection software for your failing PC? A lot of the utility packages offered in the market are pure snake oil software. But for years I've been using Norton Utilities (now Systemworks) and especially Norton WinDoctor to analyse and repair PC problems. For Windows XP and earlier, it does a good job in analysing and repairing the registry, finding invalid shortcuts, missing program files and libraries, etc. And big advantages that you can run it directly from the CD, it is quick and effective and it impresses the customers.

Now that Windows Vista systems are getting older, I've been on the lookout for something similar. I could upgrade Norton Systemworks but I'd like to see a positive review of it for Windows Vista and I don't want to pay full price (£38 inc. P&P) for it as there is no upgrade version. Recently I've been trying Iolo's System Mechanic 8 trial version and it appears at least to do a good enough job in cleaning up the clutter in a system without destroying it. The Advanced automatic mode works better and defragments the hard disks and registry as well, but I've yet to try the individual tools. I'm happy with the results but do not like the annual subscription method of renting the software. At present I'll continue using the trial period on customers computers and then uninstalling the software.

I remove a lot of this sort of software from people's computers who have download and ran these programs in a desperate attempt to recover their systems back into working condition. Mostly these programs are scams which did not achieve their advertised capabilities, demand money to complete the process and usually make the situation much worse. The snake oil products of the IT industry.

No comments: