Tuesday, March 31, 2015

In praise of Chromecast

We recently upgraded our main living room TV to a Sony Bravia Smart TV. The old Toshiba Regza migrated upstairs to my computer workshop and replaced a really old fish-bowl CRT television which was mainly used for me to watch football. To take better advantage of the new HD widescreen, I added a Google Chromecast stick making it effectively a Smart TV controlled from computer, tablet or phone.

What a revelation. Anything that I watched on the PC monitor can now be cast, or streamed to the wall-mounted widescreen. It integrates really well with the Google Chrome browser and is relatively inexpensive (£30) for a brilliant gadget. It also included a neat mains USB charger for those older TVs that don't have a USB socket like mine. I can now catch-up on missed programs (in HD quality) for the BBC channels and will soon be able to do the same for ITV, Channel 4, etc.

No comments: