Sunday, October 26, 2014

Intel's performance Pentium

I managed to get hold of one of the Intel Pentium G3258 20th Anniversary processors. This was released recently as the first over-clocklable Pentium CPU in a long while. It has been mentioned a lot online and in various publications as the good start to an entry-level gaming system. At a price of just £47 it is a real bargain.

Also instead of having to purchase an expensive motherboard with exotic overclock capabilities and settings, some of the manufacturers were releasing BIOS upgrades that would offer a basic overclock function. So the one I went for was the MSi H81-P32 board for just £37. This is a really neat micro-ATX board with a USB3 internal header making it suitable for modern cases. However I see now that this motherboard has been discontinued. Pity.
I was able to upgrade the BIOS to 1.8 version by putting a spare Haswell CPU into the Socket 1150 and running MSi's Live Update program from within Windows. I then swapped the Pentium G3258 processor in and rebooted without any problems. Next, I went into the UEFI BIOS and changed the CPU ratio from 32 to 42. I then had a Pentium processor overclocked to 4.2GHz. This was using the Intel stock air cooler which I noted is copper-cored and better than the usual Pentium coolers. People have managed to overclock this chip to 4.8GHz using better air or water coolers but I considered the extra 1GHz speed without any additional costs or risks is good enough. Under load the CPU temperature was 65C which is very acceptable.

A really good start to an affordable gaming system (£47 + £37) which I will detail in my next post.

No comments: