Monday, June 30, 2014

Chieftec Purple Dragon died

After many years of faithful service my huge, heavy, mega-tower Chieftec Purple Dragon case has gone. It blew up in spectacular fashion when the old PSU expired with a loud bang. As I sit quite near it, I had massive fright. Luckily, further examination and testing revealed that the MSi motherboard, overclocked AMD Phenom II X3 720, memory and hard drives had survived.

As I thought that it would be difficult to replace the PSU with the extra long leads to reach to the bottom of the case and I could hardly lift it any more, it was better being rehoused and scrap the power-hungry nVidia 9600GSO graphics, the IDE RAID hard disk drive array and multiple optical drives. So the remains were re-housed in a modern, light case with a fast, SATA hard drive and a new nVidia GT610 graphics card. Amazingly Windows Vista re-activated and we are back on the road again.

The empty Purple Dragon case was thrown in the iron and steel skip at the local dump. It served me well for many years.

No comments: