Sunday, April 20, 2014

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS replacement for Windows XP?


Every couple of years I download the latest version of Ubuntu Linux and try it out. Generally I'm disappointed in its installation, operation, user interface and software applications.

So what has changed?


Firstly a new LTS (Long Term Support) version called Trusty Tahr with a generally liked new user interface and the end of support for good, old Windows XP. I downloaded the Desktop version ISO and installed it on a DELL Optiplex GX520 compact tower the a 3GHz Intel Pentium D and 2Gb memory; i.e. a typical ten year old computer. Firstly the installation went extremely smoothly and for once I didn't have to use the command line/terminal window at all. It even came pre-loaded with the latest versions of useful applications like LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and a neat photo management application called Shotwell.

What I was left with a modern looking desktop interface that appears to be better and less scary than Windows 8 Metro and is easier to use. I was easily able to add my preferred Google Chrome browser. I even played Forge of Empires on it.

I'm getting a lot of concerned customers calling me about the expiration of Windows XP. After going through the usual options of a new Windows 8 PC, not worth upgrading a five year old computer, buying a reconditioned one, etc. this seems a great value solution to just load this onto their old hardware. It is another option that can be considered. A lot of my customers just want to surf the web, read emails, load digital photos, etc. Ubuntu 14.04 is a really good way of doing just this.

So the Linux desktop has finally found a reason to exist. A great piece of software and an opportunity. I used to program Unix System V for a living so the command line interface is no stranger to me but I just hate using it to do simple things like install applications.  My only concern is why did they have to put the windows close button on the left like a Mac?  95% of the world's users expect to see it on the right.

No comments: