Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Modular power supply trial

I've never used a modular power supply. In fact, I haven't purchased many large output PSUs over 600W. Most of the gaming systems that I build from scratch have a single graphics card with only one PSI-E power connector. So, when I started to think about upgrading my system, other factors like efficiency and modular cables seemed to more important.

I selected the Corsair CX500M for just £50 as a good way to evaluate whether I want to include these factors and other benefits into my future system builds. I've used the Corsair CX430 quite a few times without any problems and though the CX430M (modular) was a contender, spending just £7 more for the extra power seemed wise. Though with modern CPU and graphics card power requirements declining, the smaller would also be a valid choice.

I'll report back if it is a spectacular success or dismal failure. I will not be posting an unpacking video on Youtube however!

No comments: