Monday, April 6, 2009

AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology

The new configuration of my large purple PC was warm and noisy. To start with I replaced the old, cheap and noisy case fans with Xilence Red Wing ones which seem to shift a lot more air and are quieter too. This helped but did not result in a noise level I desired.

I was considering replacing the stock CPU cooler, then turned on the Cool'n'Quiet BIOS setting for the AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU. This also made a noticeable difference. mMore than I thought that it would. At idle the CPU speed dropped from its overclocked 3.2Ghz to 2.1Ghz to 800MHz. The CPU fan slowed from over 5,100rpm to 3,400rpm and was a fair bit quieter.

This Cool'n'Quiet technology seems very dynamic, much more so that Intel's SpeedStep and doesn't seem to affect the responsiveness of the system at all. When you want the play games the system goes to full speed and becomes noisier but the game's sound blocks this out. When you just type it is quiet enough. I might still change the CPU cooling fan at a later date, but the Cool'n'Quiet technology is sufficient for me now.

No comments: