Thursday, March 26, 2009

Going Black continued

The new CPU and motherboard are installed in the giant purple case and running well. The main problems were fitting all the devices and cables into the large case. It is still a tight fit.

The MSI K9A2 Neo-F AM2+ motherboard is great. It allows me to use my old Enermax 650W power supply to connect with a 20 pin connection into the newer 24 pin motherboard. Even the manual says that you can do this. It also POSTed first time with the new CPU and an easy BIOS upgrade with MSI's LiveUpdate program gives the correct AMD Phenom II X3 720 CPU name.

I loaded Windows Vista Home Premium and all the hardware was recognised. Even my Sil 0680 IDE RAID card! Then it was an easy job to gradually increase the CPU multiplier setting from 14X to 16X to reach my desired overclocking speed of 3.2Ghz. The system runs fine and I'm reloading my games and applications before benchmarking. I'm very happy with this upgrade.

No comments: