Saturday, January 17, 2009

Windows 7 beta

I downloaded the public beta version of the new Windows 7 operating system. I installed it on a fairly average hardware PC platform, 2.8GHz Pentium 4, 1Gb memory and 40Gb hard disk. It installed without errors and discovered all the relevant hardware devices correctly.

It appears to be a stripped down Ultimate version with some bundled applications and utilities missing. It runs in about 400Mb memory. This compares well to my Vista Basic essentials with additional AVG anti-software. I've read comments that this new version of Windows is just a Vista Service Pack. I would disagree with that as all the elements of the GUI have been 'adjusted'. Even the venerable Wordpad application getting a 'ribbon' command overhaul.

Performance on this lowly PC seems snappy enough, but it is early days yet. As a supporter of Windows Vista, I'm eager to see if Microsoft can market this latest Windows version better that they did Vista. Certainly it should not be hard.

No comments: